Useful Information

Department of Consumer and Employment Protection

Provides advice and information about buying or building and publishes many free brochures including “Homebuyers Survival Guide for WA” and “Contracts – Information You Need To Know”. Telephone their Consumer Protection Advice Line for your free copy on 1300 30 40 54 or go to their website

Department of Land Information

Produces a booklet called “A Guide To Strata Titles”. Telephone DLI Strata Titles Advisory Service on 9273 7044, email or via their website

First Home Owner Grant

First home buyers may be eligible for a First Home Owner Grant. This grant is administered through the Office of State Revenue on 1300 363 211 or visit websites or

Foreign Investment Review Board

The Board examines proposals by foreign interests to undertake direct investment in Australia and, against the background of the Government’s foreign investment policy, makes recommendations to the Government under on these proposals. They also provide guidance, where necessary, to foreign investors so that their proposals may be in conformity with the policy.

Real Estate and Business Agents Supervisory Board

Telephone 9282 0836 for your free set of real estate notes including information about auctions. Under the Real Estate and Business Agents Act 1978 first homebuyers may be eligible for a grant towards the cost of “incidental expenses” associated with buying a partially built or established home through a licensed real estate agent. Incidental expenses may include stamp duty, settlement fees and lending institution fees associated with lodging the home loan application.

Assistance with loans

Keystart has a number of initiatives to assist people who may find it difficult to obtain a loan in the general marketplace. Telephone 1300 361 577 or visit their website

Assistance with Stamp Duty

First home owners may be eligible for a reduction of stamp duty or a concessional rate of stamp duty. Contact the Office of State Revenue on 9262 1100 or 1300 368 364 or visit their website and click on Office of State Revenue and then Stamp Duty.

About the Certificate of Title

For more information contact DLI’s Tenure Information Services on telephone 9273 7333 or visit their website on

Dividing fences

Contact your local government authority for relevant local requirements or visit Department of Housing and Works website for a copy of “Dividing Fences – Rights and Responsibilities”.

Smoke Alarms

For information about the location of smoke alarms or smoke alarms for the Hearing Impaired contact FESA via their website